My 3 yr old daughter took this pic of me

Friday, February 8, 2013

Me.

I've always been one to put others first. This sounds so sacrificial of me, I know, but it's not. I would put others first to a fault. I am a major people pleaser at heart and do not enjoy conflict and so I would bend over backwards to avoid an argument or to make others happy, but at my own expense. 

The Bible talks about serving one another and loving your neighbor as yourself and I thought that my "bend-over-backward- attitude was following this teaching. But when you look closer, it says, "Love your neighbor as yourself" not "Love your neighbor and neglect yourself". The world is so focused on "me me me" and everyone talks about "me" time and I totally don't agree with the selfish mentality of the world, but I am learning that it's ok for me to take care of myself. Not just ok, but necessary and good! 

Instead of being "amazing" for three months at a time and then crashing for three months at a time, I am working on practicing balance in my life and letting my needs be met. God can't really use me if I'm totally burnt out - I'm no good to anyone that way. I want to be used by God and I want to be available to meet the needs of my family and friends and to do that I've had to make some changes. 

What I'm doing - 

Getting enough sleep at night and if I don't get enough sleep - taking a nap and not feeling guilty about it.

Getting dressed, doing my hair and makeup every day even if I'm just staying home.

Blogging. I love to write :)

Reading the stack of books that have sat by my bed for the last 2 years.

Reading my Bible every day.

Working out at home 5-6 days a week - wow, what a difference in how I feel!

Eating healthier food and actually drinking lots of water!

Getting out of the house and spending time with my friends and sisters more often. That adult conversation is like honey to my soul!

Going on regular dates with my husband and being more intentional in our relationship.

Bubble baths - love.

Just doing these little things to take care of my mind, body, and soul are making a huge difference in how I feel and how I perform in day to day life. I am much happier, too, and a lot calmer. 

1 Corinthians 3:16
 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?

God gave me this body and I am going to take care of it! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment