My 3 yr old daughter took this pic of me

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Green Smoothies & Muffin Tins

I have a good friend who feeds her children very well. She uses muffin tins for each child (6 cup muffin tins) and fills each cup with a different food. They get very colorful tins and sometimes they are even themed tins. It is a fabulous way to make healthy eating fun and they get LOTS of variety! Here is a link to her blog and some of the tins she's put together........ 


 

The Purple Tray!


 

East Indian Food!

and here's a link to her blog.........www.thechaosandtheclutter.com

I don't have small muffin tins and I really dislike washing them since I do all my dishes by hand, so I have come up with an alternative for my kids. Same idea, different container. I am using my vegetable tray. It also has 6 sections and so I made my first one for them today for snack. I think I will use the same idea for all our lunches, too. This is what mine looks like today.....


It has oranges, cherries, crackers, carrots, red peppers, cucumbers, and salad dressing. They LOVE it! (Logan just took a cucumber and said, "I know I'm not gonna like this, but oh well! It's healthy! Here goes!") LOL He's trying to set a good example for the little girls. 

We also drink a lot of smoothies around here and they usually consist of milk, strawberries (usually frozen ones), bananas, and sometimes yogurt. I decided to try my hand at green smoothies since I've heard so much about them and I have a new blender! So I made the same smoothie but started by blending up a bunch of spinach with some milk and apple juice and then added the rest. It was GREEN. But it was delicious! You couldn't even taste the spinach at all! I made the kids try it (they were VERY reluctant) and they liked it! We followed up with a conversation about how sometimes food can look so delicious and really taste gross, or the opposite can happen (like our smoothie) - it looked gross and tasted awesome!

So I don't think I'll be making any more smoothies without some spinach in 'em! You can also use kale or other greens. It's good to switch it up once in awhile. If you don't think you can get the green color down your kids' throats, try throwing in a kiwi to account for the color or you can throw in some pitted cherries and then your smoothie will be red instead. Another trick (for younger kids) is to put it in a sippy cup that isn't transparent. Then they'll get used to the deliciousness BEFORE they realize what color it is! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment