My 3 yr old daughter took this pic of me

Monday, June 13, 2011

My Second Chance

When faced with death, people react differently. If you know you are dying, you can do some of the things you want to do before you die. People say things like, "If I had another chance, I'd.......

..tell my family I loved them more often."

..live debt free."

..make amends with people in my life."

..spend more time with my kids."

..work less."

..enjoy every moment."

..live and walk closer to God."

..truly serve God with every bit of my life."

4 years ago, today, I got a second chance at life. I was hanging in the balance between life and death for days after delivering our sweet daughter, Jasna. The doctors weren't sure if I'd make it. My chances were slim. I suffered an amniotic embolism where the survival rate was 1 in 5. Not good. And then I had to have an emergency hysterectomy where the survival rate was 1 in 2. Many many complications followed and I spent a total of  30 days in the hospital. The doctors were amazing, but I wouldn't have made it if it weren't for the prayers of so many around the world.

I felt strongly, and still do, that God has a plan for my life. I don't know exactly what that entails, but I'm excited about it.

4 years later, I look back and I reflect. I remember that time vividly, even though I was quite drugged throughout most of it. I ask myself if I am living up to my second chance. Am I doing, daily, the things I would do if I were given a second chance?

Am I spending more time with my kids?

Am I living debt free? (or trying to)

Am I making amends where they need to be made?

Am I utilizing every moment for God and His glory?

Am I in constant communication and relationship with my God?

Am I being the wife that my husband needs?

Am I enjoying every moment?

Am I sharing and helping and loving as much as possible?

It's good to think about all of that. Every day is a new day.
I am thankful for every moment I have.
I am thankful for my family and friends.
I am thankful for the blood that people gave so I could live. (over 100 units)
I am thankful for my life.
I am thankful for my Creator.
I am living up to this second chance the best that I know how, with His help.

Having been so close to death gives me a new and wonderful perspective on life. I am thankful for what I went through because of this end result. Going through that was worth what I know now. And so I am doing my best, with His help, to spend my energies on being positive, not negative. On loving everyone I can. On doing my best with what I've been blessed with. Tremendous blessings. I feel as though I have a responsibility to not waste this precious life that is coursing through my veins. Each life is a gift and living it wisely and fully is an honor to our King.

Thank you, Jesus, for saving me......more than once.

3 comments:

  1. I love you, Rachel! You've been such an inspiration to me in the past year or so :) I am really blessed to have you for a sister <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the perspective you share. God has been teaching me about perspective in the last few months and you are the blessing of the morning. A great reminder considering the smorgasboard of decisions needing to be made in the very near future for my life... which directly affects those I love the most. I truly am greatful for your second chance!! God bless you, Rachel, as you continue to live fully for Him!! Love in Christ, Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that God saved you (like you said, a second time) and I know that He has a plan and purpose for your life. What a miracle that you were able to pull through and that your kids and your future children are able to know you and be raised by you.

    ReplyDelete